On a warm June evening an ox-blood painted Humvee pulled up outside of Genetic Konnections Incorporated. The sky was rusty orange, tinted with a suggestion of the same sanguine shade as that of the military style car that had arrived before the huge reflective glass building.
Four figures concealed in angular shouldered black trench coats jumped out of the Hummer: Kenneth Pierson, a muscular African-American with a shaved head and goatee, Kenneth glanced from side to side surveying the grounds of the empty parking lot, noticing it was not totally abandoned. A purple Maserati 3200 GT was parked next to an old Volkswagen van. Also in the lot, but off on its own a cream-colored BMW. Kenneth wondered whom the vehicles belonged to.
He stood with hands clenched behind his back beside the hulking form of Pierson. Roderik Visal waited, considering what was to come. The tips of his spiky red-brown hair were colored golden blond.
“It’s usually busier when I’m here.” Vance Turner said. “Thanks to Aria I come back and forth here enough!” the lanky man exclaimed. He straightened his glasses, then adjusted his SWAT Cap.
Roderik only rolled his eyes, noticed that his friends looked expectantly at him at mention of Aria’s name. “Any smart remarks Oswald?” He asked, mind still tingled at mention of Aria.
“Nope.” Oswald Knox replied the fourth of the Phoenix Project members from behind coke bottle glasses, which he wore more for their disarming effect then anything else. Who’d think a “nerd” a threat?
“Well, let’s be off.” Vance advanced.
Before they entered the building Roderik stopped to take a closer look at the hourglass shaped DNA emblem embedded in a sign that read: Genetic Konnections Incorporated ’… Rebuilding Mankind at the dawn of the genetic renaissance. Our eyes are forever look toward the Morningstar.’
“Hmm.” Roderik thought to himself as he stroked his goatee.
The three – Kenneth, Oswald, and Vance fell into triangle formation around Roderik. They’d done this since they were kids. It was the Falcanian way when acting as honor guard to the Shotar.
They entered the waiting room outside the lab, his three friends moved aside, but Roderik halted dead in his tracks. The Shotar found himself looking upon something, someone he hadn’t expected to see this evening. A young woman dressed in a purple lengha-choli, and bedecked in a myriad amount of jewelry sat and read what looked to be a Femina Magazine, a woman’s publication that sponsored the Miss India pageant. Her dark brown hair was tied in a thick braid, which she absently twirled between two fingers. A yellow carnation affixed to the base of the braid as decoration.
Up from her magazine she glanced, smiled at the newcomers. Large brilliant-blue almond eyes radiant with a deep intelligence brightened even more at the sight of the four men. A tiny beauty mark adorned her chin and again at the tips of her kajal accented eyes: Three dots set in a triangle. She stood, smoothed the side of her lengha, the movement caused her bangles and assorted baubles to make a clanking sound. Offering the Indian greeting with her touching palms she said. “Nameste’ I’m Nadia Korelia, you must be the people my parents have been expecting.”
Roderik just waited, frozen in place, mesmerized by the girl’s eyes, he blinked a couple of times until Vance elbowed him. “Ah…” He stammered, while realized that he didn’t make the best impression, yet he couldn’t find his ability to talk. “…Yes we, ah we’re from the ‘Phoenix Project’.” He at last managed to get out and took a deep breath which he almost regretted. Inhaling Nadia’s spicy scent laced with jasmine. He felt giddy. This girl had knocked him off-balance. Roderik wasn’t sure that he’d be able to get out the spiel he had planned for the Korelias – not with this striking girl here to sidetrack him.
Nadia continued to grinned, made it even more uncomfortable for him as she got closer, and smiled right in Roderik’s face. “Perhaps we should go into the lab?” She suggested. “My Maa and Papa will want to see you – they’re intrigued by your ideas.” She pulled on Roderik’s hand. Looking over her shoulder she added. “And so am I.”
As she pulled him to the security door the exotic girl glanced over and smiled, tugged a bit more intently on his hand. There was a noticeable twinkle in her kajal-accentuated eyes at notice of the dumb struck look on Roderik’s face. She ran a key card through a slot Nadia then punched in a code, in an instant her French manicured nails danced over the keys. The secure doors slid open.
As you can tell this is actually the first moment Sharr (Roderik) and Nadia meet. A cut scene from On the Forge of War.
- Character Profile: Nadia Korelia-Drakonis (T’kara) (raptorsclaw.wordpress.com)
- Nadia – NSFW!!! (raptorsclaw.wordpress.com)
- What I Read In April 2012 (garth.typepad.com)
Version 2.0 of ‘Under A Raptor’s Wings’ book cover. I changed around some elements, made my name bigger, and placed it directly beneath the title. Narshin Thryak Palace is also closer/larger. This one also has cleaner, and sharper lines.
- Prince William and Kate to move into larger apartment at Kensington Palace (cbsnews.com)
- My visit to the Palace of Versailles (littleyellowbear.wordpress.com)
- Prince ‘missed Diana at wedding’ (bbc.co.uk)
- What is to become of the book cover in the age of the e-book? (teleread.com)
- Hack the Cover (tapenoisediary.com)
- Rethinking the role of cover when the book is digital (RexBlog.com)
- Miyazaki’s films reimagined as dog-eared Penguin book covers [Concept Art] (kotaku.com)
- My Book Covers? (leajurock.wordpress.com)
- Making the goal visible: Self-Publishing, Book Covers and the Blurb (writermummy.wordpress.com)
- Plastic surgery for book covers (amymilesbooks.wordpress.com)
- You Can’t Judge a Book by its Cover (harperpages.wordpress.com)
- What my book cover reveals… (ahamin.wordpress.com)
- Book Magic (saxtonstudio.wordpress.com)
- How I Self-published A Book (millerbeachblog.com)
I have been reworking book 2, of The Falcanian Legacy Series book covers. I figured as Frederika gets heavily featured in ‘On the Forge of War’ – both in the story as well in various incarnations on different covers, its only right to place Sharr’s first wife, and queen Nadia, called T’Kara on the next book cover. Also she takes on an active role in shaping things on a political level in ‘Under A Raptor’s Wings’. The teaser cover actually has the bad guy on it, but it was seeming very flat…
This is not a cover, only a character portrait. Mmm… women featured on two book covers. Now I’m not sure what I’ll be doing for the third book. The teaser cover currently has ummm a male, who is very important to the story.
It’s almost a pity I’ll have to put clothes on her for the final version.
- NSFW: Awesome and Dangerous Power of Nature (cdturner.wordpress.com)
- Some Sample Art: Work in Progress (darkdungeon2.com)
- Art by Ayer girl, 12, promotes Earth Day (bostonherald.com)
- Dirty Fan Art Gets a Helping Hand [Nsfw] (kotaku.com)
- Curse-ive Nail Art: Love It or Leave It? (bellasugar.com)
- New life drawings (sexy! NSFW!) (satsumabug.com)
- Graffiti Artists Make Great Body Painters (bellasugar.com)