I’m just reposting one of my Facebook status updates…
Err… I love it when supposedly ‘open-minded’ Trek fans can’t handle anything new. Its why I completely put off going to the Trek BBS, and I used to post there daily. Now I can find it on Facebook.
Look, the Trek of the 60′s (70′s) and even 80′s and 90′s is no more – But guess what? You can still catch it on DVDs. Nothing JJ Abrams has done will take that from you. Also, Star Trek is not a religion, please stop treating it as such. Nor has it ever been half as deep as some claim it to be. GR wanted to make a living writing TV shows and struck gold with Trek, he was not a prophet, and used a lot of pop psychology in later day Star Trek, but in the end – Its just entertainment.
Here’s the deal: Star Trek Into Darkness is intended to be a ‘summer blockbuster‘ which is a lot more than I can say for almost any other Star Trek film before JJ Abrams got involved. In many ways, Star Trek movies were bi-yearly Star Trek Conventions put on for the faithful at Paramount’s grace.
Yet like most movie studios, Paramount also wants to fill movie theater seats. They could not afford producing a money pit. Abrams films are not money pits – In fact Into Darkness has done something no Trek film yet has, an overseas profit.
If Star Trek fans (hardcore) didn’t use Trek as a way to fill a religious void in their lives, they might be able to appreciate these movies (and the whole franchise for that matter) for what they are – ENTERTAINMENT.
And yes, even the original series was an action adventure show, which on occasion could be ‘meaningful’ (to a point… ) but it still needed action and many episodes involved Kirk either seducing his way out of trouble – Or punching it.
When you move that to the big screen, obviously it (should) will have more bang per frame.
I’m not saying you need to like Abrams incarnation of Star Trek – But please, please stop treating those of us who do, like we’re the Devil. It makes you look close minded and primitive. Intellectual elitism does not make one brilliant, even though you may think it does… It actually comes across as hollow (and bitter).
- Director J.J. Abrams: Star Wars Vs Star Trek Debate [The Daily Show with Jon Stewart] (theactorscritic.wordpress.com)
- Non-Trekkie JJ Abrams Discusses Star Trek: “I Have Come To Love It” (contactmusic.com)
- Star Trek Into Darkness, Goes Into Hollywood – U.S Premiere [Pictures] (contactmusic.com)
- Latest ‘Star Trek’ appears to be quite the Enterprise (suntimes.com)
- The Origins of 11 Famous Star Trek Lines (mentalfloss.com)
Before I expound further on that. We know Robert April appears in the prequel comic book and there is little reason to not think he’s in the actual film. But let me tackle for a moment the notion he is Benedict Cumberbatch “John Harrison” de-aged/clone ect…
Though we see in trailers “John Harrison” wearing a black StarFleet shirt, it is a bit odd that this presumed dead (not former mind you…) captain wouldn’t take it upon himself to keep wearing command gold/mustard. After all, Robert April is depicted wearing a captain’s uniform in the comic, so I doubt a de-aged Robert April would suddenly not choose to wear his command colors.
There’s a bit of misdirection going on here.
Also there would be no reason for Kirk to ask “John Harrison” - “Who the hell are you?”. I mean Kirk and Spock should be smart enough to recognize even a “de-aged” person they’ve already met. Even if he didn’t look the way he did when they first met (the comic book is canon…) surely Robert April would talk the same way no matter his age.
But anyhow. Kirk says the Enterprise that preceded he and Christopher Pike‘s was “decommissioned two years ago”. That means while Kirk was in the academy and the NCC-1701 Enterprise we see being built-in the first movie, Robert April’s Enterprise was out in space conducting missions.
Two notions: Robert April steals his Enterprise in the film, or… well the trailer makes it very clear that Kirk‘s ship gets pounded, I would not be shocked if by the end of the movie they bring the older Enterprise out of mothballs for Kirk to take over command.
Or its a combination of both of the above.
Just a theory.
- USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) (en.memory-alpha.org)
- USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-B) (en.memory-alpha.org)
- Out Now, The Star Trek Klingon Bird of Prey! (graphicpolicy.com)
- Starship Enterprise Gets Thrashed in ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ Trailer (space.com)
- Benedict Cumberbatch narrates ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ motion poster (upi.com)
- ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ Super Bowl Movie Trailer (screenrant.com)
- To Boldly Blow Out Candles Like No One Has Done Before! (beanstalk-inc.com)
With all the discussion regarding who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing in Star Trek Into Darkness there has been not much talk about who Peter Weller will be in the movie. In fact, he’s the only main guest actor who we have not been provided a screen credit for. Even Noel Clarke‘s (Dr. Who) character has been listed as “father” (he can be seen in the 9 minute prologue leaked online and seen in IMAX before The Hobbit) though, I think that’s only a placeholder and he’s actually a young Clarke Terrell. We know he is a member of StarFleet, as we see him drop his class ring into a glass of water in a trailer.
Let me put it like this, the inclusion of Robert April in the prequel comic book is a red herring, intended to make devoted Trekkies suddenly think, oh here’s our bad guy — not that Robert April can’t somehow be allied with “John Harrison” and I actually think that might be likely, I just don’t think he’s the guy out for vengeance in any of those trailers. I can also see how a little bit of spirit gum and a wig would turn Peter Weller into the guy we see in that comic image, whereas “John Harrison” does not much resemble the white-haired fellow claiming to be captain “Of a ship named Enterprise…”
- ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’: Benedict Cumberbatch’s Identity Revealed? (movieline.com)
- Video: Peter Weller and Michael Emerson Discuss ‘The Dark Knight Returns Part 2′ (geek-news.mtv.com)
- The ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ Teaser Poster Has Arrived (slashfilm.com)
- Star Trek Into Darkness Teaser Trailer Beams Down (geeksyndicate.co.uk)
- First Star Trek Into Darkness Boldly Goes Where No Mass Destruction Has Gone Before (thepeoplesmovies.com)
Scratch that. So, if that next “longer trailer” doesn’t shed light on who the villain is in Star Trek Into Darkness we’re going to have wait for the freaken toys to leak to find out. The 9 min prologue, though he appears in it does, not say who he is…
- ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ Official Plot Synopsis – Has the Villain Been Revealed? (screenrant.com)
- If Other Classic “Star Trek” Villains Received Power Upgrades for Future Sequels (midlifecrisiscrossover.com)
- New Star Trek Trailer Released! (storiesbywilliams.com)
- Star Trek Into Darkness Trailer (comicbooked.com)
- ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ Should Be The Re-Hash Of Khan (movieline.com)
- Khaaan? Maybe! ‘Star Trek 2′ movie teaser won’t say — or will it? (entertainment.nbcnews.com)
- Full List of Theaters Playing the 9-Minute IMAX Preview of STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Released (collider.com)
- ‘Star Trek’ poster-palooza: New retro-cool posters inspired by the original TV series – EXCLUSIVE (popwatch.ew.com)
Does a picture tell a thousand words?
Again, please expand!
Interesting, as I don’t think (mind you, its hard to tell with that hoodie thing he has on… ) Cumber-Villain is wearing a StarFleet uniform in this still. Though this is a much better shot of his very impressive duster jacket. In fact I want one! The texture on the shirt seems different from one of those black StarFleet undershirts.
In Star Trek The Original Series they used to use red shirts in much the same way JJ Abrams used the black uniform undershirt in the first movie. That is, none officers wore them, like the stowaway James I. Kirk did because he was not yet a commissioned officer. On a number of occasions we saw a guest provided a red shirt even though they were not in StarFleet on TOS. And yes, Khan Noonian Singh was chief among those who got this honor.
- STAR TREK Starfleet Uniform Bra (geektyrant.com)
- New STAR TREK Poster Released (scifi4me.com)
- Here’s our first look at Star Trek Into Darkness via the official announcement trailer (supermarcey.com)
- Star Trek Into Darkness Teaser Trailer Features Cumberbatch Villain (webpronews.com)
- First ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ Trailer Hits the Web (VIDEO) (manolith.com)
- Who Is That Unmasked Man? (joshuaziefle.net)
- Teaser Trailer for Star Trek: Into Darkness Starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Chris Pine and Zoe Saldana (shoppingblog.com)
OK, I guess this makes for good traffic bait…
One of the things the writers, at least Robert Orci have said regarding the bad guy for Into Darkness is that he is an iconic villain. To me iconic implies a character which has made something of a culture impact — Not unlike The Joker, or Lex Luthor.
Were you to ask the person on the street to name Star Trek villains (not species, so don’t mention Klingons… ) chances are they’d name Khan, the Borg Queen, and a Tribble – Yes, a tribble. Now out of the three top contenders: Gary Mitchell, Garth of Izar, and Khan Noonian Singh for the role of villain, only one of those is “iconic”. It’d take a great deal of mental twists to think either Garth or Gary are “iconic”. Diehard Trekkies might know who they are, but not the person on the street, who often confuses Star Trek with Star Wars…
What’s in a name?
Also, I hate to say it, but the names Garth and Gary don’t exactly inspire fearful bad guy. I am having a hard time seeing Paramount signing off on a movie with a foe with either of those names – It’s just not marketable. Actually this article over at Comicbook.com makes that very point, as well as nails down a few points I’ve been trying to make regarding this whole debate.
In any event chances are by next Friday we’ll all know for sure.
- ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ Should Be The Re-Hash Of Khan (movieline.com)
- Is The Villain For The New ‘Star Trek’ Khan or Gary Mitchell? Yes. (geek-news.mtv.com)
- Watch! Star Trek: Into Darkness Teaser! (them0vieblog.com)
- Star Trek Into Darkness Extended Trailer: Gary Mitchell? (atthebuzzershow.com)
- WOW: ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ Official Teaser Trailer (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- The Villain … (raptorsclaw.wordpress.com)
- Can We Stop This Stupid Assertion? (raptorsclaw.wordpress.com)