Created as a reboot of the Casshern franchise, Casshern Sins tells the story of a world where robots subjugated humanity after becoming self-aware. Their leader, Braiking Boss, ruled over the world with an iron fist. One day, a mysterious girl named Luna is summoned by the people, in order to bring the salvation of mankind. Fearing her as a potential threat, Braiking Boss sent three of his most powerful cyborg warriors to dispose of Luna: Casshern, Dio, and Leda. Casshern, the strongest warrior, manages to track down and kill Luna. However, this triggers a cataclysmic event which sets into motion the end of the world. Hundreds of years later, the world’s atmosphere is filled with poison, and, due to the inability of most remaining humans to reproduce, as well as the constant threat posed by the robots, humanity is on the brink of extinction.
Robots fare little better, fearing death as much as humans do: the poisonous environment quickly causes their mechanical bodies to rust and corrode, forcing them to constantly replace their damaged parts, if spare parts in good condition can even be found. In this wretched time and place, Casshern, who had disappeared following the assassination of Luna, returns with no memory of who he is or what he had done. As he embarks on a journey to find out the truth about himself, will Casshern discover his true purpose and destiny?
This has to be one of the greatest animes, EVER!
I’d caught the tail end on Toonami probably a year or two ago. Recently I was looking for a Robot focused movie to watch and had a vague recall of an anime about a desolate Earth populated by dying Robots.
The art is gorgeous! The story is compelling.
Now many of the Robots are humanoid and seem to have both mechanical and biological traits, there’s even a Robot child. Though there are also many none-human looking ‘bots who really want to eat Casshern so that they might gain immortality and put an end to the Ruin.
This is actually giving me new ideas about my Morningstars as well! Be sure to watch this, you won’t regret it.
- Robots with Brains; Russian Tycoon Revealed Timetable Through 2045 (hngn.com)
- Top 3 Reasons Why I Love Anime (animevice.com)
- Robot Building Lab (birthdayinabox.com)
A Moringstar brain, which is less about circuits and diodes than it is layers (in the same manner of a humans brain folded over into itself) of an “organic” spun-glass/crystal like substance. In fact, were you to dissect a Morningstar you’d find they have many of the same organs that a human does, but they are made of a different sort of substance than our own. Much more sterner stuff than that of a mere human, to be sure.
- The Science of Heaven (thedailybeast.com)
- Sounds of Cylons – Simon & Garfunkel (raptorsclaw.wordpress.com)
- New BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Ongoing Series Coming from Dynamite! (geekasms.com)
- “Battlestar Galactica’s” Katee Sackhoff Confirmed for Female “Expendables” Film (news.softpedia.com)
- Battlestar Galactica Viper Ship Flash Drive (techi.com)
- Abnett and Lanning To Write Battlestar Galactica (Original Version) At Dynamite (comicsbeat.com)
- Taking a Page From Sci-Fi (thediplomat.com)
- Kandyse McClure (Battlestar Galactica) Guest-Stars on Syfy’s Alphas (US) (scifiandtvtalk.typepad.com)
I’m OK with this armor, as futuristic military assault armor, in point of fact, I can see not so far off future Marines wearing stuff like this. What I am not so thrilled about, is that its supposed to be Robocop, police officer Alex Murphy – Because, well it just looks too much like some guy in body armor, rather than a cyborg…
And on the set. I know this is a behind the scene photo, but don’t you see what I mean by how it just looks like some guy wearing body armor?
The blue chrome-titanium exoskeleton that the original Robocop was thrust into really gave a sense that it was machine and man merged as one. I don’t know, maybe it will look right on the big screen.
- Michael Keaton Joins ‘Robocop’ Remake (deadline.com)
- First photos of RoboCop’s suit reveal Batman-like body armor [Robocop] (io9.com)
- ‘Robocop’ Remake Script Details: Armor Upgrades, Al Queda & Easter Eggs (screenrant.com)
- Rebooted RoboCop script reveals Alex Murphy is now a Transformer [Robocop] (io9.com)
- More ROBOCOP Details Revealed – It Might be Better than We Think (geektyrant.com)
- First Look at a Suit From the New ‘RoboCop’ (slashfilm.com)
- Michael Keaton Takes the Villain Role in ‘RoboCop’ Remake (screenrant.com)
- Another Take on the Robocop Updates… (grizzlybomb.com)
Just a matter of a few well placed shell fragments, I didn’t want to overdo it. Plus I must admit, the shell fragments drive home that’s a giant green egg there in the background.
As I’ve been editing the second story this image entered my mind, so I remade the book cover.
Why Venus, and not Mars? Well, I knew the ships (which aren’t Raptor-class…) would be red, and I feared they might get lost in the orbit of the red planet. Also Venus plays a role in the mythology of the universe.
OK, I try to depict Falcanians biology as accurate (as I describe them in these stories anyhow) as I am able to, but I have to tell you, Falcanian wings are a pain in the neck, having three extra limbs on the humanoid form is difficult to fit together in an elegant manner on a picture. They’re a bit like filming the Enterprise — It only looks right from certain angles.
As you can see, this is Princess Sitara in her armada uniform, which probably should be black, but I didn’t want the details to get lost in all the stars, so its navy blue instead. And yes, the membranes on some Falcanian wings are indeed translucent, which is lucky as otherwise I’d have lost all that detail in her body. Sitara, and her twin sister actually have “glassy rose-colored wings”.
Her hair helped me obscure some things best left to the imagination. In a lot of ways, this picture is all about the long brown hair!
- Designing a Book Cover for Book Week (murcha.wordpress.com)
- Just Beneath the Surface II Book Cover Reveal (arirjames.wordpress.com)
- New NASA Mars Rover is a Red Planet Mini-Truck, Ford Says (space.com)
- Gorgeous book covers: White’s Fine Editions (emslf.wordpress.com)
- Flightless Raptor Ate Flying Dinosaurs (theepochtimes.com)
- The Final Book Cover – At Least I think So. (danielundem.com)
- Book Covers (isisixworth.wordpress.com)
- 19 Beautiful book cover designs for your inspiration (thenextweb.com)
- Earth, Jupiter and Venus as seen from Mars (duckduckgrayduck.com)